[Northkeep] Cloaks

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Thu Sep 26 14:44:12 PDT 2002

>Does anyone have a cloak pattern suggestions? I can buy my own pattern, LOL.
>Winter is coming along, and mundane coats over garb seems so silly!
>
>Amanda

>Susanna le Peto responded:
I made mine out of wool and flannel and made it reversible.  Wool keeps the
>majority of the wet weather off and the flannel is soft and warm especially
>for camping outdoors at winter events.
>
>The patterns are for children Simplicity 5927 (just need to make it out of
>something other than felt and make the cloak to touch the ground)and for
>adults Simplicity 5794.

I have some stuff from when we did the garb day focusing on
cloaks.  Depending on size of person and if you want the hood attached,
cloaks are one of the simplest things to make.  I like the basic full
circle where you lay out the fabric and arc out a circle with a string and
chaulk and seam up the back and do a small circle in the middle for the
neck, then use a separate hood.  Mine is a (I think the term is ruanna), it
is a large rectangle with a cut going up the middle of one of the narrow
sides to the middle and then a circle for the neck.  It was easy to make
and is great for fall weather, I love the ease of using your arms out the
sides and it is a comforatable shape for adding to a bed.

Susan