[Northkeep] Fwd: [Ansteorra] 3 Questions...

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Fri Sep 27 21:30:38 PDT 2002

Susanna, thank you so much for sending this on to the list.  I expecially
thank you as it started up another dialog between Lorraine and I and she is
a facinating person.  One of the wonderful gems of this latest round of
communications was her exposing me to a publication called Thinkwell, that
I had never heard of before.  I have just started reading the first issue,
http://sandradodd.com/tw/1 , and am facinated by what it set out to do and
will try to read as much of them as I can.  By any chance do we have paper
copies of these in the library?  or anyone have them in their personal library?

Being a curious one, I love Lorranie's questions.  I am going to soon hit
the archives to see what others posted there and are interested in local
comments to the questions.

>Now I know you are saying...when the heck is she going to stop with the
>questions...
>but honestly...I see this as a way to get us to share our opinions and
>experiences
>on "neutral" ground and allow us to understand each other better.
>
>So here's my current set of questions.
>
>1. What are 3 things you like about the SCA in Ansteorra?

This will be 'like about the SCA' as I have yet to know other kingdoms well.
    * There are many who have a great deal of skill and disipline in their
studies and they are willing to share their abilities and knowledge.  This
is incredible to me.
    * I love that there is a place for all to find a fit, the secret is
helping to find where it is so that they are able to follow the dream that
brought them in.
    * A great sense of humor, this goes without saying; but the Creativity
of the Anacronisms, is one of my favorite things.
>2. What are 3 things you have been doing in the past 6 months
>in the SCA that you enjoy?

I have loved being a hospitaller through this time.  I love being able to
help people who are interested in the SCA find a way they can experience
what they want to.  This has been great, expecially as I see them move into
greater involvement and it becomes a part of their life, that they had
hoped for it to be.  I also have been blessed with great deputies and
encouraging them along in the things they had been doing on their own
anyways.  I currently have 4 official deputies and a small troop of ones
who have done a great deal of work in the hospitaller's office.  This has
been great and I have really loved it.

>3. Who are 3 people in Ansteorra who best personify the attributes of
>Ansteorra?
>Lorraine DeerSlayer

I do not have a firm enough understanding of 'attributes of Ansteorra' to
know who personifies this.  I have many friends in which I truely love and
are my community, but cannot begin to number them.  As for the greater
definitions of defining the aspects of the dream to me that are the
intangable things that define to me the greater essence of
Ansteorra.  (here is a preface to state, I do not know all or maybe even
most of the aspects of these people, but have seen in very literal ways
them exemplifing the essence of traits I value greatly.  I personally make
judgements of people of what I know of them, listen to other's experiences
and openions, but base personal relationship on what I see of them and how
they treat me-odd disclaimer)

The three I find in no order are Larissa, Ace and Lorraine.

Larissa from her efforts to go over and beyond to bring magic to the game
we play and the extreme lengths she went to for our Barony as we passed
through a difficult time of transition.  She was a Queen who in the days
after her Coronation was checking on the welfare of one of her populace
that she saw was in the hospital from our local list, this level of caring
at my first knowlege of her just impressed me to no end and she over and
over brought magic into our lives.  Many of my moments of magic have her
involved, I will never forget the 'bouncing Don', it was incredible with
her in her 'Queen of Hearts' dress.  Thank you so Larissa and I look
forward to many more years of your delightful presence and am excietidly
awaiting another reign of yours.

Ace, Lord Magnus Strongax, Squired to Sir Bear.  He, along with Gunnar of
Gunnarsted and my deputy Galiwyn, define hospitality to me.  They go over
and beyond to welcome one in and to treat them with honor and
belonging.  The first time I saw Ace he was covered in toddlers crawling
all over him and he reminded me of many of the people of my childhood who
were the children's favorites, he even tolerates my calling him Peter Pan
without killing me.  Seeing him and a couple of wonderful guys, Pink and
Micheal, take care of the car problems of three individuals at one event
and help ensure the water supply for the ones in the feaste hall and being
the first person that the rangers go to; told me much of the length he goes
to to ensure the safety and welfare of all involved.  This is all done in
the background with few knowing of his actions.  He has spoken of a
connection of mechanics across the SCA to help people out when they are
stranded, he is the first person in my cell's phone book and one I will
rely on if I ever have need and appreciate his willingness to help all.  I
have seen in him an embodiment of the knightly virtues and am sad that I
missed the event where he was squired.  My daughter traveled along with he
and Bianca and she had a wonderful experience being 'down south' and wants
to travel there regularly.

The third, Lorraine, I have yet to meet personally.  She shares my love of
questions to get people talking about ideas and why they do the things they
do.  She has exposed me to many wonderful things in the SCA and is someone
I hope to know better in the future.

As always the curious one, I look forward to going through the Ansteorra
archives to see what others have said and look forward to the comments of
those who have yet to comment.

Susan the Curious