[Northkeep] question of distinction

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 10:30:47 PDT 2002

>From: Fitzmorgan at aol.com
>Analogy is saying that one thing is like another thing.  Allagory is
>taking credit for all sots of thing that you had little or nothing to do
>with, though it should be spelled Al Gorey.

And here I thought that was plagiarism.

Robert, could you give an example of how you mean the latter -- The last
time I checked, Allegory meant a deeper meaning to something.

For example:

      There's an old story about a Policeman out walking his beat at night
and comes across a drunk crawling around under a streetlight.  The policeman
helps the inebrient up to his feet and asks him why he is crawling around on
the ground.
     "Why, officer" the man replies, "I lost my car keys, and am trying to
find them" (this won't even BEGIN to tell you how old this story is).
     "We can't have that, let's look together"  and together they began to
crawl around on the ground, looking for the man's keys.