[Northkeep] Antiquities Trade

Alcyoneus squire009 at baronyofvatavia.org
Tue Aug 5 15:45:53 PDT 2003

Here's another example (from a guy in Sweden on the AA):

He has a friend that goes on trips for a museum.  He was in Egypt and
visiting a remote town, where there were no other Europeans, and was a
local celebrity because of that.  As he was leaving, he met another
European who was just arriving, and they exchanged business cards.  When
the newcomer found out what he did for a living, he acted a little strange,
and beat an impromtu retreat.  The Swede thought this was a bit odd, but
went on his way.

Later, he happened to look at the business card he was given.  The man was
a buyer for a well known auction house, along the lines of
Sotheby's/Christies/etc.  Now the thing that caused him to raise an eyebrow
was that the primary industry in this very remote town was the production
of new copies of ancient antiquities.

What was the buyer for an auction house doing there???

I've bought a few trinkets off of ebay (buckles, buttons, etc).  Some from
England, and some from areas near Augsberg.  At the right price, I'll get
them, but I wouldn't pay a high price for something I think might have been
made yesterday.  This is always possible.  There are people in China that
are VERY adept at faking antiquity.

I've also bought a few bronzes from Martin's Minerals at gem shows.  At
$30-40, I kind of doubt that they are actually 17th C bronzes, but they are
worth that to me new.

The ethics of collecting, and the sale of antiquities gets rather
complicated.  What shape would the Elgin Marbles be in if they had been
left in situ?  Does the market promote looting?  Sometimes.  There are also
people that make good money honestly selling copies labeled as such.  There
are also museums with hundreds, thousands and even tens of thousands of
virtually identical ancient kitch that have no archaeological value in
themselves which are collecting dust in basements, and will never be seen
by anyone for any purpose.  If they sold some of these on the legal market,
would they be able to better care for or display more of what they
have?  Probably.

Alcyoneus