[Northkeep] Attention: Archers Not Going to Steppes

John Yates valstarr_hawkwind at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 1 15:48:35 PDT 2003

   This is a rough copy of what I sent in to the Tulsa
World for a story about a traditional archery
tournament this weekend in the McAlester area. That
story may not run until Sunday. I did not get the
release about it until earlier today, so I'm giving
little advance notice.
   I haven't shot a bow in years, but bought a combat
archery kit complete with arrows excepts for APD's. If
I could figure a way I wouldn't spend a chunk on
modern arrows I probably won't use much anyway, I
might be out there early Saturday morning with a
longbow.

Valstarr
-----------------
  A traditional archery tournament is being held this
weekend at the McAlester Army Ammunition Plant.
Shooting will get underway at 6:30 each morning, with
a 'trickle-start' format being used, though a person
can register and start until noon.
   Saturday's event was for recurves and longbows,
whle Sunday's shoot involves only hand-made bows.
There is no entry fee to shoot.
   There will be 25 3-D targets on hand at the
tournament for the novelty shoot. There will also be
vendors with homemade bows and flint knappers
(traditional arrows).
   Also, there is to be Native American art and
equipment for sale. Security rules for entry at the
bomb-manufacturing plant will apply, and all vehicles
are subject to inspection.
   Information numbers given earlier this week were
for Bill Starry at 918-420-6611, or Danny Alsup at
918-420-7484.
   There is no entry fee to shoot. The McAlester Army
Ammunition Plant is located south of McAlester on U.S.
69, exiting off the highway to enter the plant
property.
   The Traditional Archery Tournament is at the
Murphy's Meadow area of the plant.