[Northkeep] Newcomers Guild

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Thu Jan 30 07:55:27 PST 2003

At 01:48 PM 1/28/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>--
>I see we are getting more newcomers and I was wondering if we ever had or
>if anyone ever thought about a newcomers guild.
>
>When I stated out in the SCA I lived in Gyldenholt in the Kingdom of Caid.
>They had a newcomers guild. This guild met once a month for 5 months (the
>last was optional). The first session was an Introduction to the SCA, the
>second was on SCA fighting arts, the third was titled "Who Am I? Who Are
>They" (and covered things like how to develop a name, persona and device
>and how to address people of rank), the forth was A & S and the last was
>called "The Finer Points". At each session the officers that covered that
>area would come in a speak on their area of specialty. After you went
>through all 4-5 sessions and helped out at one event you received an
>award.  I'm sure it was a lot of work for all involved and I'm not sure if
>we have enough new people to warrant something like this. But for the
>newcomer it was MOST helpful to get a good overview of the SCA and to meet
>everyone that they might need to know. Also much of the populace would
>show up for support. It's just an idea I thought I'd toss out there.
>
>Thanks, Fàelàn

That sounds like a great idea.  With Northkeep, so often the newcomers
trickle in and when they come that way I try to make many opportunities to
meet with them personally and introduce them around to all the different
people doing the things they are interested in.  Awhile back we went
through a rough time of people not showing up for classes that were
requested, so this seemed to work best.

As we have several people currently interested and several newcomers all at
once, it might be a very good time for this.  I like the way it is spread
out over several meetings, as then you are less overwhelmed.  I will need
the people to teach the classes and to know whether we want to do them one
a month or possibly for a few weeks in a row on the same day of the the
week.  Other thing, I would prefer doing it at one of the libraries if we
can; as many people are hesitant to go to someone's house when they don't
know the group yet.

Let me know about teachers and schedule and I will get something set up,
Susan the Curious
Hospitaller Northkeep