[Northkeep] First Event Thank You

Michele Bither vtdoc2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 12:02:50 PDT 2003

Warm greetings, Milady Raghnailt

> Glad you all made it home safely and were sorry
> AEthelred's spectacles were
> sacrificed to the highway gods!

It was certainly an eventful drive home!  <grinnnn>
To any of you who don't know the whole story, here
goes:

Did you ever have one of those Murphy's Law kind of
days? Well, we did on Sunday. We had a flat tire on
the way out of Cleveland, stopping along the side of
the road in order to fix it. However, it turned out
that the jack was too small or didn't work well (or
something like that). Aethelred spent more than an
hour in the sweltering sun trying to reposition it in
various places so that it would lift the fully loaded
Suburban high enough off the ground to take the old
tire off and put the new one back on.  He was sweating
so profusely that he took his glasses off and placed
them on the hood of the 'burb until afterward.

After a while, some good and gracious gentles from
SmythKeep stopped to assist. I didn't catch their
names, but at least one of them was in the Rapier
Tourney on Saturday (Don _____?). They helped us put
the tire back on, and then we found that the
replacement tire was almost flat. UGH. <grinnn>

So...we get back in the car, load things up again, and
start driving slowly towards the Texaco just up the
road.  We were a good mile from where we'd stopped to
change the tire, when someone asked "Uhhh...where's
your glasses, Chris?"

My stomach lurched.

Lahoma's stomach lurched.

Chris' stomach lurched.

And the Suburban lurched to a halt.

Chris got out, walked the mile back to the initial
pitstop and found his frames rearranged into a rather
interesting Picasso-esque configuration, with the
lenses pulverized into a rather lovely diamond-like
dust.

They had been sacrificed to the SCA Road God. <Gong
sounds in the background>

The end part is that we made it safely back to
Tahlequah and even managed to keep our senses of
humor.  We figured that this would make an epic tale
someday, one to be told with much flourish, posturing,
and waving of arms around a camp fire. <grinnnn>

Milady, as far as weird looks, there were none that we
noticed, although Lahoma and I seriously thought about
bringing out our drums and doing the Dance of the
Chocolate Donuts to see if we could at least "drum up"
a few blank (or horrified) stares. <grinnn>

If anyone knows the names of those good samaritans
from SmythKeep, please let us know. They helped us in
our hour of need, and we'd like to thank them again;
they are always welcome at our fire. By the way, they
also stopped for another SCAer just up the road from
us who also had car problems. This is just one example
of why I love the SCA. :)

Still chuckling,

Leonore in Tahlequah