[Northkeep] RE: how to cut heavy leather

Hugh Niewoehner HNiewoehner at netscape.net
Tue Jun 3 07:58:08 PDT 2003

>> PPS: We purchased a complete side to make armor for Abe out of, and the
>> "cut
>> anything wonder shears" we got from Tandy blunted to unusable in about 5
>> minutes.. can anyone suggest something to cut through heavy armor-weight
>> leather?

A decent craft knife, better known as "box cutters".  Inexpensive, easy to use and replacement blades are cheap.  Easier on the hands than most shears.   Put a board under the piece to protect the tip when it penetrates.  Don't try to cut all the way through on the first pass.

Tin snips or metal shears work if they have a tight jaw clearance.  If they are the slightest bit loose the leather will flex while you cut and you'll end up with tears, scrapes, and frustration.

Make sure you've made a paper pattern before you start any major cutting.   Just like dress making, cut oversize and tape the paper on the subject to make sure it will all fit.   Then cut.

Damon
 - Maker of leather things.