[Northkeep] The Golden Age of Northkeep

Fitzmorgan at aol.com Fitzmorgan at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 23:29:26 PDT 2003

       Above all other lands that are, Northkeep fair you are most blest.
I wrote these words a few years ago.  Tonight I felt more than ever before
just how true they are.   I have been playing in Northkeep for Eighteen years
now.  I have seen Northkeep go through good times, bad times and worse times.
I've been a newbie and I've been your Vicar.  I've been an officer, your Bard
and a nobody who had no idea how he fit in this group.  If you ask me , "When
was the Golden Age of Northkeep?" My answer to that is NOW.
     This isn't the first time I've made that claim, but I've never felt it
more strongly than tonight.  We had over 80 people out for Fighter Practice
tonight.  Some brand new and some who have been around since our beginning.  Half
the Barony turning out to enjoy each others company.  I mostly sat back and
watched.
     Several people brought their drums tonight and Zubedya began teaching
the basics of Middle Eastern Dance to some of the other ladies.  Later our New
Title Bard, Kasha entertained us with several beautiful songs.  It's easy to
see why she won.  Lots of other stuff was going on.  Everyone having a good
time.   Even after two big events in one month we still come out in huge numbers
to spend time with our friends.  For the third time in a month I found myself
thinking  "This is what the SCA is supposed to be!".
     I could go on for a very long time.  I have seen and heard things in the
past several weeks that moved me profoundly.  The final round of Crown
Tournament and the honor shown by both of those men is something I will never
forget.  Talking about the tournament with Anawyn at Castellan and seeing the tears
rolling down her face as she spoke of the honor Sir Balvin displayed at Crown.
 And many other special moments.
     Friends we are SO getting it right!  I didn't want anyone to not notice.
 So take a moment to look around you.  This is as good as it gets, at least
until Northkeep raises the bar again.  I certainly hope that there are other
groups that have things as good as we do in Northkeep.  I can't imagine someone
who has it better.
     I wrote this poem a few years ago and it's even more true today.

Robert

Above all other lands that are
Northkeep fair you are most blest.
Jewel of the Sable Star.