[Northkeep] FW: [h-cost] OT: Helpful Information

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Wed Jun 18 10:04:52 PDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-bounces at indra.com [mailto:h-costume-bounces at indra.com]
On Behalf Of Penny Ladnier
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 11:19 AM
To: h-costume
Subject: [h-cost] OT: Helpful Information

I ran across some information last week on a tech list.  I wanted to
pass it
along to you all because so many h-costumer have websites .  It is a
study
on how spammers get your email address,
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml

After reading the study, you can easily use keystrokes to encode your
email
address by going to this website,
http://www.wbwip.com/wbw/emailencoder.html
.  All you need to do is write your email address and click on encode.
Since spammers heavily harvest from messageboards, I suggest you
keystroke
encode your email address there too.

Now, I have been encoding our email addresses for a week on our new
webpages.  Instead of writing mailto: youremail at address.com , write
mailto:
the numbers from the encoding website.  When you write the tag do like
this:

<B><FONT FACE="Arial" COLOR="#890707">Questions??? email: </B></FONT><A
HREF="mailto:fashions1&#057
;&#0
48;1@costumega&#1
08;&
#108;ery.com"><B><FONT FACE="Arial"
COLOR="#800000">HERE</B></FONT></A></p>

Make sure to put the visual like as something besides your address or
the
spammers will get it.  In the example, I used the word *HERE*.  When
people
click on the word *HERE* their email software will pop up but in the
sender's name is your regular email address.  I tested and proved this
one,
they don't see all the numbers.

Please feel free to pass this message along to friends.  The more people
who
can stop these people from spamming us the better.

Penny Ladnier (who is sick of getting 300 spams a day)
Owner, The Costume Gallery & Costume Classroom
www.costumegallery.com
www.costumeclassroom.com

[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Plugit.com Virus Scanners
(http://www.plugit.com)]