[Northkeep] Trying Heraldry - Was: Kit update

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 4 10:24:46 PDT 2003

>From: <ravenrux at cox.net>
>This is why I personally believe that heralds should use the International
>Phonetic Alphabet to compile a >list of all of the members in the local
>group (i.e. the Barony, not the galaxy cluster) so they know how >to
>pronounce names.

It's a good idea, but I'm thinking there may be all KINDs of problems with
application, even if you could get them to learn it.  For example, if you
find a really cool name in a book, how is it pronounced?  And in what
century?

For example, My name is Diarmaid O'Dhuinn (although it's registered
"Diarmait ua Dhuinn").  Generally it's interpreted as "Dermit O'Dunn", which
is correct since that's the name I was aiming for in the first place.  It's
not how it's -pronounced- (and since no one else pronounces it correctly, I
don't bother either :) ).
I just figure it's one of the prices you pay living among the English...

[DJair-(mayit)]