Gambeson Patterns (was RE: [Northkeep] last night's smack down)

Keith Duke KDUKE at fwmurphy.com
Thu May 29 14:27:07 PDT 2003

Hmmm... Since the whole gambeson was typically covered with mail, I'm not
sure the "slide to the side" example is valid... Unless of course it's *not*
covered with mail... <<grin>>

It's been awhile but if memory serves (for the gambeson descriptions I was
playing with) the gambesons were supposedly stuffed with the owners stuffing
material of choice (rags, straw, rope, raw cotton, etc.), to about three
fingers thickness... And making tubes and essentially ramming/packing them
full to get that kind of thickness is *much* easier than hand-quilting
through all that...

I have made and played with both kinds. When worn with mail and struck
forcefully with a real steel blade, the over-stuffed kind was much *much*
better, transmitting virtually no force. The multilayer quilted kind was
much thinner overall and had correspondingly less ability to suck up the
force of the shot...

But as Diarmaid (I think it was...) says period examples are basically
non-existent.

Also, keep in mind us lovers of modern comfort... This is a sport, even if
it has other trappings as well. We aren't really swinging that hard to
*require* that much shock absorbing materials.. I've seen some nice looking
gambesons made from moving blankets that were faced with a
nice/pretty/quality "visible" brocades or other woven/printed cloth...

And in the Ansteorran heat/humidity, extensive button-holing of underarms,
- or for that matter pretty much everywhere - will help make things a bit
more comfy...

Piotr