Gambeson Patterns (was RE: [Northkeep] last night's smack down)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 14:44:08 PDT 2003

>From: "Horn, Trisha D." <tdhorn at saintfrancis.com>
>So could you do a combination of both: muslin lining, 2 cloth layers,
>batting, 2 cloth layers, more batting and outer lining? It would probably
>have to be hand stiched, at that thickness, though.

That could work quite well.   And yes, I think you'd start hitting the whole
hand stitched thing.
I probably didn't mention for fear of scaring JP that the period versions
would be 10-15+ layers of heavy linen, and frequently with a vegetable
tanned deer skin outer layer.

For a first time gameson though, I'd stick with the batting  and the simple
inner and outer layers :)

M/D