[Northkeep] deer hide tanning

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 10:20:17 PST 2003

>From: "Montega Blackdragon" <montega_blackdragon at hotmail.com>
>I posted this a long time ago and kept it in case it was needed again...

And I'm sure it will come up again :)

Just to be really anal and pedantic, what you are describing is "tawing" (or
"curing"), not "tanning".  "Tanning" is the result of a chemical change in
the hide into leather.  Tawing -is- however a perfectly authentic medieval
way of handling hide (in fact I really need some tawed goatskin if I can
ever find any).

By the same token, of course, most "chrome tanned leathers" are neither
tanned nor leather which is what happens when the common language grows away
from the techical jargon.

BTW, call it what you want - I just like pointing this stuff out :)

Marc/Diarmaid