[Northkeep] A slightly different shoemaking question...

greddi66 at juno.com greddi66 at juno.com
Fri Nov 21 12:06:44 PST 2003

<Renault doing a little dance to "Shoe class handout" song>
oops. . . Sorry  = )

Marc/Diarmaid is correct, I have some supplies but no leather

Should I start making some extra lasts for other people for the class?

I also think that Lahoma Simon is also interested in the class and I'm helping her to get ready either way

Schedule sounds great!

Looks like its starting to lean towards the 20th-21st which is fine with me. . . as possible place, I might have a Room/Meeting Room available but would need to know a more solid date.  I am at 71st & Yale area.  As for something to cook-on, would we need to get an electric hot plate?  We have Microwaves here. . .

Renault de Mont-Saint Michel
Shoe Apprentice

<<<
OK, I've had 8 people express interest, which is not too bad actually:

"Graue, Chris" <Chris.Graue at benham.com>
"Stephanie Drake" <sdrake at matrixservice.com>
Renault  greddi66 at juno.com
Agnus Gunn <angusmgunn at yahoo.com>
Gerard <gerard_de_le_quartier at hotmail.com>
OttokarLuther at aol.com (3)

Let's see if we can't find a date.   According to the Baronial Calendar  the next major free weekends are Dec 13-14; 20-21, and 27-28.  The Kingdom calendar has nothing really close for those weekends  (Forgotten Sea's Kris Kinder is on the 13th and might be the closest thing).  So I'm thinking the 13-14th or 20th-21st, with my preference being for the 20-21st.  We won't be able to satisfy everyone, but if we can find a date that a simple majority can work with?

I'm looking at this as a 2 day thing - about 9-5 on Saturday with a lunch break, and 9 until everyone is happy with where they are on Sunday (or 5 which ever comes first).   Is this workable?

Note - people who have not expressed interest are also welcome.

Everyone will needs sharp, straight round awl and thin harness needles (all of which you can get from Mid-Continent). unwaxed linen thread (linen sewing thread from the needlework store will work just fine), musicians resin, and bees-wax. You will also need to look for some vegetable tanned leather - about 5 ounce and 10 ounce (about 2-3 square feet of each for a basic pair of shoes).   Note that several of these items are kind of pricey, so you may want to go on on them with someone else.  I know that Renault is likely to have material that he'd be willing to part with for a small fee :)

Oh yes, and a clean empty soup can and a plastic cup for everyone.  Also useful will be large sheets of paper, sharpies, masking tape (not Duct tape, although that won't be turned down) Pencils, rulers, scissors, knives, etc.

We will need to find a place to do this, preferably some place with a
something we can cook on (I'll bring my own saucepan)

And for this, I'll even think about a handout for a change :)

Comments?  Questions?

Marc/Diarmaid
<<<
end of message