[Northkeep] And from CNN this morning...

Lahoma Simon lsimon at cherokee.org
Thu Nov 13 08:52:58 PST 2003

To Northkeep:

     I have been debating with myself whether or not to get involved in this conversation but as the mother of four children
in the SCA I feel like I have to speak up.  As a family we have been playing  in the SCA for a little over a year, and one
of the things that I enjoy the most is that it truly is a family organization.   In the SCA I have seen acts of honor and
chivalry that bring tears to my eyes, I have seen acts of courtesy and friendship that extend far past the realm of
historical re-enactment, and I have been able to provide my children an environment that will allow them to not only learn
history, but also learn by example how to be kind and courteous of those around you.  This is something that is not easy to
teach in today's world.  And because there are so many fine people involved in the SCA I think that we all forget now and
then that when you have 60,000 apples in a barrel there will be a few that are rotten.  And, as we all know those are the
ones that make the news.
    I know that when I am at an event with my children it is easy for me to allow them to run amuck and to believe that
nothing bad could happen, and as horrible as it is, sometimes it takes something bad happening to someone else to realize
that it could have been you.  I guess what I am getting at here is that as parents we need to frequently remind ourselves
that even in the SCA the world is not a perfect place, and that our first priority should always be the safety of our
children.  This does not mean that I can't let my child attend a class that someone else is teaching, this just means that I
need to constantly be aware of where they are, and what is going on.  I should be involved to some extent in all of the
activities that they participate in not only to assure myself of their safety but also to assist the adult that has taken
the responsibilty of teaching. I would also like to encourage all parents to keep an open line of communication with their
children in discussing what is appropriate and what is not, and make sure that they are aware that if they feel threatened
or uncomfortable in any way that they can tell someone without threat of punishment or embarassment. If you are
participating in a class and cannot be near where your child is be sure to point out someone to them who can find you should
the need arise.
     Ultimately it is every parents responsibility to protect their children, and for those of you who teach the classes
please do not be offended if a parent wants to spend a little time with you before entrusting their child to you, this is to
protect everyone involved.    I don't want to see this turn into a "witchhunt" nor do I want people to be afraid to teach
our children.  When we say that they are the future of this organization, it should not be taken lightly.  Without them the
work that we are doing today is pointless. So, instead of letting this turn into something negative let's all make an honest
attempt to take  positive steps in assuring the safety of the people in our SCA family as well as displaying a strong show
of integrity and character within our group to the public and the media.

Respectfully,
Zaynah of Northkeep
Name: Lahoma Simon
E-mail: Lahoma Simon <lsimon at cherokee.org>
Date: 11/13/2003
Time: 10:52:59

This message sent by NetManage's award winning
standards based e-mail client Z-Mail Pro
NetManage - Complete PC Connectivity Solutions