[Northkeep] Re:And from CNN this morning...

Sally Stewart ladyannisatteroseberry at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 09:30:13 PST 2003

what's happened?  (for those of us who weren't watching CNN this morning)

Lady Annis

j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net wrote: Greetings,
We should talk about this as long as decorum is maintained. Conversations
like this can be healthy and productive.

Sexual assault is an issue that does exist in society, both in and out of
the SCA. Churches, schools, and organizations like the scouts where groups
of people gather in relative safety are magnets for people who pray on such
situations, and on the innocents involved. There is always some initial fear
that such transgressions might reflect on the group involved. As terrible as
the effects can be we need to keep in mind that churches still gather for
service, schools still teach, and scouts still go camping. Why because the
good that they do and the service they provide are beneficial and have a
positive effect on a lot of people.

I am sure that the civil and SCA officials involved will do what they can to
make the best of this issue regardless of whether it is proven or not. Some
changes are bound to occur. Locally we need to do what we can to keep this
type of thing from happening. We can be more proactive by not allowing our
innocents to be put into situations where this type of predatory action can
occur. I am not a parent so I am uncertain what are the best ways to make
these situations less possible. What I do know is that where children are
involved I will try to be more vigilant. If there is anything else that
someone like me can do then I hope someone more knowledgeable will share
that information with me.

There should be discussion of the options before finding a solution that is
right for the SCA. As this issue unfolds those involved in defining SCA
policies toward this type of situation will need our support and input to
help find a solution. So if you want to help, write to your local BOD
representative, stay positive, and keep doing what it is that makes us the
SCA.

Regards,
Ian

Lady Annis atte Roseberry    Barony of Northkeep    Kingdom of Ansteorra