[Northkeep] re: Device Question

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 10:04:30 PDT 2003

And the Herald, while on Duty.

:)
Masamune

From: "Graue, Chris" <Chris.Graue at benham.com>
Date: 2003/10/13 Mon AM 11:25:14 EDT
To: "'The Barony of Northkeep'" <northkeep at ansteorra.org>
Subject: RE: [Northkeep] re: Device Question

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Carlson [mailto:marccarlson20 at hotmail.com]
>The partial ring of leaves you sometimes see does have meaning in the SCA.

>Any -group- gets the ring of Laurel leaves in its armory.  People do not.

But I thought that with the Northkeep emblem, only baron/baroness were
allowed to display the Northkeep emblem WITH the laurels and the rest of us
must display the star and keep alone...

>Some devices have gathered some meaning to them, for example, the Griffin
>has connotations in the Northern Region of Ansteorra, and by wearing it you

>would be seen as taking a stand in a long standing political debate,
whether
>you mean to or not.  But, in general, if you wanted to tattoo a griffin on
>your kids as your device, as long as it doesn't look like the one on all
>those pendants you see people wearing, I doubt anyone would be too
confused.

OK, tattoo my kids??? WHAT? I am COMPLETELY confused by this one... "as a
device"? And what is wrong with wearing a Griffin pendant? I actually have
one, just haven't unpacked it yet... can I not wear it? I LOVE GRIFFINS!!!
What's the difference between a griffin pendant and a griffin on your
device? Is the necklace sort of like wearing your device? I am so
confused... again...

Chris
(taking aspirin cuz I'm gettin' a headache again)