[Northkeep] Demo, party of 1, your table is ready...

Robert Stewart skerritheviking at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 11:09:45 PST 2003

Exactly what do you mean by you get what you pay for?  Anwyn has a point;  We are a non-profit public education association.  According to the Fed Gov't, this means we do not just educate SCA members, we educate the general public.  That is how we maintain non-profit status.  Now, granted, we are all volunteers that do this all for fun, and true that alot of people do not want to do demos, and taking all of this into account, it is easy to make demos fun.  I was Hospitaler in Atenveldt-barony Tyr Ys Githir- for 2 years and I have always participated in any demo I could get to.  Fighting or no fighting.  In addition, I was taught demos are something we do, so I never learned another way of SCA participation.  Yes, life happens, yes there were other events, and taking all of this into account, there should have been a better turn out at both of the demos(annis and I went to OKC for one).  These things sometimes come up out of nowere and sometimes are called in in advance.  Some are the
 same time every year.  Everyone-in my humble opinion-should make an effort to help.  Weather it is going, or having a table people can take to put stuff on, or making little fliers, displays to be put out, or whatever.  Well, that's my two cents(which rambled into a dollar).

YiS

Skerri

Marc Carlson <marccarlson20 at hotmail.com> wrote: Speaking as someone who doesn't do a lot of Demos, I will say that they are
always going to be a bit of a problem. When I -was- doing them they were
frequently schedluled at the last minute or for bad times that I couldn't
make because of work.

If memory serves, once upon a time someone -tried- to start up a guild for
people who would make a bit of a comittment to do historical demos for the
group (and hopefully make the whole thing fun), but THAT idea was killed
pretty readily. So really guys, you get what you paid for.

M/D