[Northkeep] Demo..

Anawyn at aol.com Anawyn at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 16:29:06 PST 2003

In a message dated 10/27/2003 3:02:29 PM Central Standard Time,
marccarlson20 at hotmail.com writes:
And since this is a
volunteer organization, there's no reason they HAVE to do these things.
Yes, as I pointed out, and Skerri pointed out, we DO have to do these things.
That is how we maintain our nonprofit status, and it is an important matter.
That does not mean everyone has to turn out for them, or that we have to take
on every demo that is requested of us.
Zahava had an unexpected turn of events, and she has apologized. I sympathize
with you, and understand - we will it at that.
If anyone finds demos boring, or has made up his or her mind that this is not
part of the SCA that you want to be involved in, that's fine, and certainly
Diarmaid more than fulfills his share of teaching and involvement. Diarmaid, if
you don't want to do demos, that is your prerogative. However, some of us do
have to commit to do these.
 Frankly, I love demos and I find most of them to be interesting and lively.
They are not all the same, we have always tried to customize them according to
what the various groups want, or request. in the past, we have had demos
involving purely historical teaching, such as Christmas practices in the Middle
Ages. We have gone to places just to sing and tell stories, we have had just A &
S tables at times, as well as demonstrations involving mostly the fighters.
There really is quite a lot a variety, usually.
We all have commitments, and events in our lives that prevent us from being
able to attend all, or even very many of the demos, but we should be ready and
eager to join whatever ones we are able to. The office of Hospitaller is one
which depends so much on others, in order to be able to fulfill many of the
duties. That's where we all come in.
Demos have always had good support in the past, and we need to be sure that
continues, for Zahava's sake, as well as our Barony. If they are not exciting
enough, well, let's work a little harder to make them that way.
Anawyn