[Northkeep] Demos (and some rhetorical questions...)

Robert Stewart skerritheviking at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 11:01:40 PST 2003

When my wife was a IRS agent, she checked with the Phoenix area manager, explaining what we do and such.  he stated that we are obligated to teach the general public, not just members.  That is why I keep saying the Gov't says differently and why I am not wrong.

Skerri

Carl Chipman <cchipman at nomadics.com> wrote:

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
But you’re wrong.  Educating our groups (i.e. A&S night, events with classes, reconstructing medieval fighting manuscripts) are sufficient sources of educating the public.

Now, for the continued health of the group, it is good to continue to recruit.  For the “share the fun” it’s good to recruit. For many reasons, it’s good to do demos and recruit.

But it is not required to maintain our non-profit status.  We are also the public.

Notice that the people who the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc, educate are the members of the group.

I’m sorry that you guys were left holding the bag at a public demo, but lambasting the group for failing to meet your perception of their “duty” is, especially when you’re not fully correct, is not a positive action.

Jean Paul de Sens

Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.
cchipman at nomadics.com