[Northkeep] Demos (and some rhetorical questions...)

Keith Duke KDUKE at fwmurphy.com
Fri Oct 31 11:44:29 PST 2003

Ha!....Wellllll... Goodness... Since we're a *nationally* chartered
Non-profit, and there is no quantification *anywhere* of the amount of
education *or* when/where/how it takes place... I think that the demo(s)
they did this year in hmmmm... maybe in Stargate.. Or somewhere in Atlantia
or up in Calontir would fulfill the education requirement... (LOL)

My point is that we need not get bogged down in legalities nor references to
legal code, or even legal opinion from any source regardless of
qualification or lack thereof.

Because really - who cares about all that foofah?

A fact of SCA life - We do demos...  Have for years and will continue to do
so, as far a I can see... And it doesn't matter one bit whether they're
required or not.

Sometimes they come off well
Sometimes they reek and are a misery to all involved.
Sometimes they are exactly the fun and educational experience that you would
want them to be...
Sometimes they are nothing but free entertainment for the attendees (Think
children's birthday party clown level stuff! Ha!)

But, what got me started on this thread... I do have to take a small, and
hopefully polite exception.... *Informing* me (and most adults, I find...)
that I *must* do something, is quite possibly the fastest way known to
creation to either achieve exactly the opposite, or absolutely nothing at
all.  And maybe that wasn't intended in the original post(s). (That is/can
be a limitation inherent in this media) But what came across was *not* a
positive "Wow you guys missed a great demo and I think you would have
enjoyed it" or even "Sorry we didn't see anyone there but it was
fabulous!"...

Which gets back to an earlier point in an earlier post - we are all
volunteers in a volunteer organization. And not to put *too* fine a point on
it, people do vote with their feet in any organization like this. Burden
them in some fashion beyond what they are comfortable with - be it
financially, emotionally, time wise - whatever - and they will leave, or
modify their involvement to something smaller, to get back to their comfort
zone...

So - Encourage demo participation? Oh my yes...  I can tell you first hand
that demos can be utterly enjoyable and incredibly fun - I will *always*
remember the extended, exhausting *blast* of a demo we did at Edgefest some
years back.. What a hoot! (and later in the mosh pit - in armor - was fun
too!)

And aside from encouraging... Asking nicely and/or reminding
politely...Definitely.

I think we'll achieve more of the desired goals with "Carrot motivation",
than with "stick motivation"....

Again, please keep in mind that my opinions are my own... So, please don't
blame Sir Balvin if you happen to think I'm an idiot.

Regards,

Piotr