[Northkeep] Demo, party of 1, your table is ready...

Susan ONeal catmafia03 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 15:50:49 PST 2003

Having been Hospitaller recently, I found that it was very difficult to arrange demos.  For the most part the requests come for day time during the week and on weekends, times in which your populace is at work or involved in SCA events, and often come with very short notice.  Having done a couple of those demos where it was just me or a couple of people and left with gaps that were integral, I held out for more of a commitment of people before agreeing to do demos.  Thank you so to those of you who came out regularly during my two years in office.

It seemed on the mailing lists for hospitallers, SCA wide, demos were often one of the biggest challenges-also in many groups Demo Director is a separate office from Hospitaller.  It seemed that demos, that the groups organized and set up, similar to our Dinoder; seemed to have the best turn out and opportunity to show who and what we are.  Another thing was the relational aspect of it, many groups consider doing 3 demos a year a large number and others are doing several a month and have guilds that are very active in doing demos.

There is a large span in what is out there, as is true across the SCA, and demos are a great challenge.  I'm so sorry you were on your own Anawyn-but am sure you were well up to it and for the circumstances that came up for Zahava and other's making it where they couldn't make it.

Susan