[Northkeep] Demos (and some rhetorical questions...)

Robert Stewart skerritheviking at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 10:47:20 PST 2003

Sorry for the cutting on this.  Our non-profit tax status, in the view of the FED., means we do have to do public education, as I said before.  I also appreciate that some people don't like doing demos, and other folks can't.  There are other things to do aside from going to the demo to help with a demo.  I understand what you mean about education, though.  What you find educating I may find boring.

Skerri

Keith Duke <KDUKE at fwmurphy.com> wrote: Dearest Anawyn/Skerri and interested others -

And, just because I like a good discussion... (For those who want to join in - Please leave the acrimony at home!)
"Education" is such a broad term, and the interpretations of what constitutes it are generally very broad indeed with respect to maintaining or losing a non-profit status. Not that I am advocating such, but I suspect that we could completely forego all demos and do our education by other means and fall well within even an absurdly strict interpretation of what "education" means. And, just for discussion sake - Can someone point out the place in our corporate governance documentation where 'education' is required? Or is it something that falls under "customary and expected" ?

So - What do you think?
Are there other venues that might be more productive as education events?
Are there other methods of gathering new members that are more effective?
Is there some way to manage greater participation in demos? Food, drink, recognition, money? (HA! Yeah, right!)
Should we have better 'qualification' of demos so that we do 'good ones' and skip the ones that are not good?

But that's my 2 kopeks. And please - Remember that my opinions are my own and not those of my knight.

Piotr Balomirov syn Barsukov