[Northkeep] Demos (and some rhetorical questions...)

Carl Chipman cchipman at nomadics.com
Wed Oct 29 11:17:49 PST 2003

Quote (HYPERLINK
"http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/501.html"http://www4.law.cornell.edu/
uscode/26/501.html):

“Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and
operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for
public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or
international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its
activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or
for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net
earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or
individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on
propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as
otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or
intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any
political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for
public office. “
There are no statements in there that say what kinds of education are
required.   Heck if we wanted too, we could seek shelter under the
“international amateur sports competition” clause (we’d be ignoring 9/10ths
of the rest of the SCA in that case though) since we don’t provide
facilities or equipment (ok, maybe not due to loaner armour).
Finally, the only members of the SCA are the ones who pay membership.  Since
we allow those who don’t to come to classes, events, etc, THEY could be
considered the public too.
Like I said, I think we should do demos, just don’t yell “WE HAVE TO!!!”.
Jean Paul
Carl Chipman
Nomadics, Inc.HYPERLINK "mailto:Inc.cchipman at nomadics.com"
cchipman at nomadics.com