[Northkeep] Demos (and some rhetorical questions...)

Burke McCrory burkemc at cox.net
Thu Oct 30 15:26:30 PST 2003

At 01:30 PM 10/30/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>GREETINGS
>
>PLEASE READ A WAIVER FORM AT YOUR EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY.... THE SCA
>DOES   NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE ... FOR PERSON OR PROPERTY , YOU ACCEPT ALL
>RESPONSIBILITY FOR THOSE DAMAGES WHEN YOU SIGN A WAIVER ..
>
>TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE , THE " NON MEMBER SURCHARGE " WAS SUPPOSEDLY
>INSTITUTED TO OFF SET THE COST OF " ALL THE PAPERWORK " INVOLVED IN
>LETTING THEM ATTEND ..
>ALTHOUGH  , I  NEVER KNEW IT WAS SO EXPENSIVE TO HAVE 22 PEOPLE SIGN THE
>SAME SHEET OF PAPER ..
>BE SAFE, BE HAPPY , HAVE FUN
>LD.BLACKMOON

The SCA has to provide liability insurance for the organization, so that we
can get sites and officers can do their jobs.  This costs money.  That
money comes from people's membership fees.  Your membership also covers the
cost of running the national office in California and your subscription to
your kingdom newsletter.  These costs do not change, no matter how many
people come to events or are paid members.  After a number of years where
the costs to do business went up, but membership fees did not, something
had to be done.  The Board spent over two years talking with kingdoms,
officers, people in general and finally decided to make a significant
change in the structure of membership.  The national newsletter (TI) was
unbundled from your membership and made an optional item.  The money that
was freed up by this move was given to the Kingdom newsletters who had been
loosing money for several years.  To help cover the increased costs of
insurance and such, the Board decided to tap those people who come to
events but do not currently pay to help cover the costs (ie non
members).  You can look at it as a non-member surcharge or a membership
discount, they are exactly the same thing.  The waiver is a legal
requirement that we have had for over two decades, it is not new.  If more
people become members then the non-member surcharge may be dropped of
reduced.  Either way, I personally prefer taping the non-members to a
prince increase in memberships.

Sir Burke