[Northkeep] heraldry

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Mon Oct 13 05:07:58 PDT 2003

Both, actually.  All objects must be period in style and must have existed in period.  A bow must be a longbow or composite bow, or somesuch.  It may not be a compound bow.  Also, a lawnmower, for instance, may not be used.

But there is also a case where your device must be period for you.  This is when you are using a device that breaks the standard rules of heraldry, but would be correct for your period.  The two examples I can think of are Italian and German.  German arms can use black on red (I think), and Italian can use gold on silver for certain locations and times.  This is called a 'regional variation.'  If you are using a regional variation for your device, you must be prepared to provide ample documentation of period examples of a regional style.

Masamune