[Northkeep] Fwd: [MedEnc] Candle & soap book recall

Anawyn at aol.com Anawyn at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 18:00:02 PDT 2003

This is so overrated - I have been mixing sodium hydroxide and water in the
"incorrect" order for years, because it is more convenient. I have never once
had the mixture bubble over a container, in my 8 steady years of making soap.
(and I have made quite a LOT of soap in that time!)
I suspect that: (1) this was a myth perpetuated by one of the original soap
author divas, whose name I will not mention, and it has never been contradicted
or even examined. or (2) someone once used too small a container for the
fumes to disburse properly and had a bad experience because they had indeed
"dummied," and perhaps passed it along on one of the many soap chat groups as if it
were gospel and all inclusive. You surely have seen other instances of bad
information traveling fast and becoming "truth"!
DO NOT misunderstand me; lye (sodium hydroxide mixed with liquid) is an
incredibly dangerous substance if not handled with utmost care. That in itself,
cannot be overly stressed.
You must be very aware of what you are doing at all times, and without any
distractions. And, you should be sure you are wearing protective gear, and that
there are no little kids or dogs or cats under foot if you have lye working in
active form. I have been rather badly burned myself with lye, on a couple of
occasions, but it was from doing really stupid stunts that I knew better than
to do, not from lye bubbling over.
However, may I also point out if you go to the article addressing the recall
of the book, they also state, as far as injuries/incidents, there are, quote:
"none reported." I just hate to see someone lose their livelihood over
something that, I do not truly believe to be the hazardous aspect of handing lye, and
has not apparently even generated any losses or injuries!
Anawyn
who really hates perpetuated lies about lye