[Northkeep] I'm sending this whole message...

Herndon, Darin DHerndon at bswintl.com
Wed Apr 21 08:25:53 PDT 2004

The NO_REAL_NAME SPAM test could also mean that the return address
involves an alias or actual account that is not valid anymore.  If I
cannot return to the From: I am told then it is NO_REAL_NAME.

Some people add characters to their return address, so that if the
address is picked up on some server, it cannot be used to send SPAM back
to them.  I have seen less of this method in the last year and a half
than prior to that.  Basically, I would reset my From: address to
something like "dherndonXXX at bswintl.com" and note in my message to the
actual recipient that if they wanted to reply, then they needed to
remove the "XXX" from my address.  An automated collection tool usually
cannot do that so only a person could reply and make the change so that
the reply would get through.

The downside today, of this approach to avoiding SPAM, is that more and
more professionally managed email gateways are refusing mail where they
cannot verify the sender address in order to decrease SPAM to their
recipients.  These two methods interfere with each other.

I cannot tell if any of this applies to Nadine's message from the SMTP
header because it is the header of the bounce notification instead of
the header of Nadine's original message.

Etienne