[Northkeep] History lessons

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 20:30:50 PDT 2004

In a message dated 4/6/2004 8:58:16 PM Central Daylight Time,
marccarlson20 at hotmail.com writes:
>and our directors... Or even more frightening, to >do a survey of how many
>American believe the Washington and the apple tree story, or Jonny
> >Appleseed, or Paul Bunyan?

I would submit that most modern Americans don't really have a clue who
Johnny Appleseed or Paul Bunyon were.  They haven't done big screen movies
about either of them lately.
Actually, my bet is that more people believed the -cherry- tree story in my
father's generation than in mine or my children's, Paul Bunyan was a figure in
Tall Tales with Pecos Bill and John Henry (Diarmaid didn't limit the
discussion to -good- movies...), and Johnny Appleseed WAS a real figure from American
History (John Chapman, 1775-1847), but like Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone, his
legend exceeds his reality.
Kevin