[Northkeep] what's in a name

Robert Stewart skerritheviking at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 27 09:59:21 PDT 2004

Okay, that whole name picking thingy you went through is just scary.  That gets saved in the Narthkeep folder, too.  :)
The "O" is probably pronounced in the fasion of "not", but it was not specified which style of O was used, so it could be like in "nose" or "noose" (the thingy we hang people with) and I could get out my Old Norse language dictionary if we really want to get into this.  Like I said, Chris/Snotra/Sirhc/???, if you pick Norse or scandinavian, I can teach you the language, and I also have alot of clothing patterns.  Including the apron to which you have referred.
Skerri
P.S.-  I got to pick from Snorri and Skerri for taking too long to settle on a name, and my Squire brothers were named Skeggi and Skepti

"Graue, Chris" <Chris.Graue at benham.com> wrote:
Actually, I was going to say "is that how Skerri got his name?" but decided not to single anyone out, so I changed it to "some people". Isn't Norse what Elizabetta and her terminally peppy sidekick are? (Sorry, I've gone blank on her name, but she's oh so sweet, ya just wanna squeeze her). The dress is pretty much a sheet wrapped around with straps over the sholders and large round pins to hold them together, right? That sounds much easier to sew than a Houpland... and alot less fabric, too...

Now, I know the German language sounds like someone hacking up a hairball, but Snotra is a bit much, don't you think? Besides, I'm no crooner... get it? S-notra?

Your excellency, were you just letting the cats walk on the keyboard for that list of names? Is that how the Norse came up with their names? Well, obviously not using a keyboard, but perhaps dice with letters in a cup, shake and dump, then come up with a name from the letters you get... or perhaps it was more like scrabble... letters on tiles placed upside down and you roll a die to see how many letters you are allowed to turn over... Or perhaps the parents weren't allowed to pick a name until they were sufficiently drunk and whatever came out of their mouth was the child's name... am I close on any of these methods? If the latter is the case, then perhaps we should elect Gunarstead to be the official naming committee...

Chris (getting rather worried now)