[Northkeep] Gypsies

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 09:29:02 PDT 2004

>From: "Graue, Chris" <Chris.Graue at benham.com>
>...Chris (who thinks Marta has been watching Disney's the Hunchback of
>Notre Dame recently)

I think that the character of Esmerelda was in the original Victor Hugo
novel, although in that case I believe she was "La Esmeralda", which I
believe means "the Emerald".  Note that Hugo was wrote the book in 1830, and
so may not be the best source for 15th century Romany onomastics.

If you want to slap a Gypsy name on Chris - how about "Christina", which at
least has the benefit of actually bing used in 16th century Hungary.
Barbara and Helene are actually documented as having been used by _Gypsies_
in Scotland in the 16th century  (documented Romany names being somewhat
thin on the ground...)

Marc/Diarmaid