[Northkeep] Gypsies

Zubeydah zubeydah at northkeep.org
Fri Aug 27 18:09:50 PDT 2004

There are several historical and fictional women from the Middle Eastern women named Zubeydah or alternatively, Zubaydah:

Queen Zubaydah of Iraq, (died 831) who was reknowned for the system of canals she had built. Who may or may not be Zubaydah Bin Ja'far bin Al-Mansour, who was the wife of the Abbasid Caliph Haroun Al-Rashid during the Golden Abbasid Age... I've gotten conflicting answers on that one. That Zubaydah was a renowned poetess.  However, there's some confusion as to whether or not she's different from the "caliph's cousin's wife Zubeidah" who was a style and trend setter, popularizing the fashion of jeweled shoes.

Shahrazad tells several tales of "Queen Zubaydah" including one about her in the bath ... who may be all three of the aforementioned Zubeydahs / Zubaydahs / Zubeidah's and who was apparently quite a character.

So.... long story short:  It's middle eastern, probably Iraqi specifically, and its documentable to the 700s.

-zubeydah jamilla al-badawiyya