[Northkeep] Deutsch lesson 101

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 16:27:42 PST 2004

With respect to castles the Germans have different names for different
types.

Schloss is usually found applied to palaces, mannors, and buildings of a
similar nature.  Burg is used with respect to castles of a military
nature.  Burg Rheinfels, Burg Eltz, etc.  Mad Ludwig's hangout at
Neuschwanstein is technically a 'castle' but no one would mistake it for
a military installation, the Germans call it a Schloss.

The only Festung Ismet and I've encountered was in Koblenz at the
confluence of the Mosel and the Rhein.  If I remember correctly it was
built late to post period.  I'm certain there's more but I don't know
where.

In the brochures, Turm or tower is usually applied to the 'keep' within
the Burg.  So, I believe a more direct translation would be either
NordTurm (Northtower) or Nordburg (North castle).

Damon  Justatouristheimer