[Northkeep] Judy linen

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 09:46:59 PST 2004

>From: Patti McCullough <toinettec at yahoo.com>
>It's true:  from the research I've read, they say that
>linen generally bleaches well, but doesn't take dye as
>well, which is why you generally saw undergarments in
>period being fine white linen.

Just to add to this, my understanding is that even when you can get it to
take a period dye, it doesn't keep it long (the current mythology seems to
be that you can't dye it at all, which isn't true.  It's just a pain and
it's not permanent).

As for undergarments in Period, um, T. you know we don't have That Many
examples to say that.  I suspect that most undergarments were unbleached or
otherwise cheap linen, but I can't prove it either :)

M/D