[Northkeep] Judy linen

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 15:43:34 PST 2004

>From: Anne Brewer <anaka_ravenna at yahoo.com>
>Actually linen is very easy to bleach. I once got five yards of brown linen
>for free because it had >gotten water-damage. I just washed in the washer
>with bleach and hot water, then hung it up to >dry in the sun. Almost all
>the color came out in the first go. The few places that still had dye or
> >mildew bleached out in the sun-drying (btw, sunlight has a natural
>bleaching effect, I've read period >accounts of people hanging thier white
>linens in the sun to brighten them). I would recomend >doing it in summer
>when the sunlight's the brightest. You might also try dye-remover, tho'
>bleach >and sunlight will of course be cheapest (just beware that bleaching
>can sometimes cause shrinkage).

Just a note.  Modern dyes (especially regarding Linen) are based on some
fascinating chemistry that's helped get rid of the whole quckly fading dye
thing.  This means that while you might get some sun fading in linen cloth
over time, as a rule modern dyes shouldn't bleach out in the sun as well as
they did  in yon olden days.  If you can get it to work with just bleach and
sun, more power to you, but don't be dissapointed if it doesn't work as well
as you might hope.

M/D