[Northkeep] Fwd: Viking Age Headcoverings from Dublin (more info)

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 14:30:01 PST 2004

--- In Authentic_SCA at yahoogroups.com, "Medb" <jkwyatt at a...> wrote:
Greetings,
I pulled this from the Norsefolk2 list- it gives a lot more
information on the book, including a description of the contents.  I
also thought some of you might like to know that the book will be on
the publications list at the RIA website as of tomorrow.  :)

Medb
(who can hardly wait until her copy arrives!)

Hi everyone!

I was notified by another list about a new book on Hiberno-Norse
headcoverings.
Order information and "review" follows:

Elizabeth Wincott Heckett, (2003), "Viking Age Headcoverings from
Dublin". In
the series "Medieval Dublin Excavations 1962-81. Ser.B,vol.6 (2003)".
ISBN:
0-9543855-5-1.

Hardcover, costs 30 euro.

It can be ordered from:
Royal Irish Academy
19 Dawson St
Dublin 2
Ireland
Attn: Hugh Shiels

And on to contents:

The book covers 68 textiles: scarfs, headbands and caps (10th-12th
cent.Dublin),
which are discussed after a general information on the excavation
sites.
The sections for scarfs and headbands and caps are similar, in that
they start
with pictorial and archaeological comparisons for the objects, and
then the
catalogue part goes into detail on size, weave, stitches etc. There
are drawings
for almost all finds. For caps there are also some thoughts - and
illustrations
- on how they might have been worn.
The cloth technology is then discussed: cloth-type, yarn, weave and
dimensions.
The author also discusses cloth production and loom-type.
There are also a few pages on sewing techniques, and a discussion on
the origins
of the cloth, commerce, and a short discussion on viking age dress in
Dublin.
The appendix covers analyses of dyes and of hair found in the
textiles.
There are also 16 colour plates (12 of textiles).

All in all, it's a very detailed book, and I would recommend it for
those
interested in Viking dress in the British Isles (the only other finds
of caps
were AFAIK found in Lincoln and York). If the price is a bit too
much, you might
wait until it comes in a softcover version (as the previous books in
the series
were published in both hard- and softcover, I believe that this one
will do so
as well.).

Lena
--- End forwarded message ---