[Northkeep] Judy linen

Patti McCullough toinettec at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 07:06:06 PST 2004

The period way to bleach linen would be to lay it on
the grass at the crack of dawn, let the dew wet it,
let the sun shine on it, and then you pick it up and
take it back inside as soon as it's dry.  If you leave
linen out in the sun after it's dry, the sun will
eventually damage it.  So you'd have to do this
procedure probably for a couple of weeks or so.  I
can't say I've ever tried it personally, to see how
long it takes.  But you've got to admit:  It doesn't
get any cheaper or safer than that.

More modern methods--I dunno.  I seem to have a vague
recollection that Talana told me once about some linen
threads she had bought that turned brown after she
washed them, and she eventually figured out that they
had been dyed white instead of bleached, and then the
dye had washed out.

Regards,
Toinette