[Northkeep] Classes For Cracked Anvil tentative

LRA lra at olpdsl.net
Wed Feb 11 15:27:52 PST 2004

Hi Gelwyn --

Welcome to the SCA. Welcome to Northkeep.

To answer your question in the simplest way possible: the best time to start
getting involved is now.

There are lots of things to do and opportunities to get involved in our
local group. How much and what you do depends entirely on your interests and
your time. Do you have specific areas you are interested in?... such as
fighting -- we hard armored fighting, rapier (which is like fencing),
archery, and knife/axe/spear. There are weekly practices for those areas.
Don't worry that you don't have any equipment, there is some loaner gear
people have at the practices.

If fighting is not your interest, there is also scribal guild (creating
scrolls with calligraphy and picture painting) meetings which take place a
couple times a month. There are also sewing (needle workers' guild) meetings
at least once a month, maybe more. One of our long-time members just
mentioned having a brewing teaching class if people are interested (time for
that has yet to be determined).

Sometimes when people are new, they are not sure what their interests are
and want to sample everything. That's great. And sometimes when people are
new they know exactly where their interests lie....that's great, too. Don't
feel you are limited to just one area of interest. We have a large group of
people in our area who a huge selection of interests. If you find you are
interested in a particular thing... or many things.. there is probably
someone locally who can provide you with lots of info and help you get
started. If by chance you have an area of interest that no one in our group
has experience in (not likely, but possible), then there is always someone
reasonably close by who can help you at regional events and probably through
e-mail.

A good way to get to meet people in our group and find out what is going on
locally and in our region is to attend our "business" meeting, which we call
populace. The meeting is always the last Monday of the month at the Martin
East Regional Library (on the east side of Tulsa on Garnett between 21 & 31
Streets) the last Monday night of the month. People start gathering at the
library about 7 p.m., but the meeting doesn't officially begin until 7:30
p.m. This month (February) our meeting takes place Feb. 23. The meeting is
in medieval clothes if you've got them -- if you don't, don't worry about
it. If you'd like to borrow clothes for the evening, contact our hospitllar
(person who is in charge of helping new people) a head of time so he can
bring some loaner clothes for you to wear.... or not. Coming in regular
clothes is just fine for new people. (If you want to contact our hospitllar,
Ian, his e-mail address is: j.t.herring at sbcglobal.net)

After the populace meeting a lot of people meet at the Mazzio's Pizza
restaurant on 21st (and about 1 block west of Garnett behind the Wal-Mart)
and eat, chat, and get to know others. You are also welcome to attend that.
You don't have to eat if you don't want to.

To give you an idea of when and where our local guilds and meeting take
place, go to our web site http://northkeep.ansteorra.org/index.html and go
down to the section called Meetings and Events. You may find other sections
(particularly the newcomer's section) helpful. And you have already found
one of our greatest resources.... our e-mail list. Please feel free to ask
questions or ask for help on this list, or to individuals whose names and
contact info you will find on the web site. Ian is also a good person to ask
questions of. I also will be happy to help you with what ever info I can.

The information on the e-mail you responded to is an event that takes place
this weekend in Arkansas (about 2-2.5 hours from Tulsa area). You are
welcome to attend that event as well.

Well... I've given you a lot of general info in a short time.... probably a
great deal more than you wanted. (Don't worry, it was all a little
overwhelming to all of us when were new, but you'll catch on fast.)  But if
you give us more info about what your interests are, we can guide you a
little better.

Please let people at the meeting know you are new so we can introduce to
others and make sure you get the info you need. I'll be at the populous
meeting on Monday, Feb. 23. I'll be in the back of the room handing out our
newsletter. Please stop by and say hello and I'll make sure you get a
newsletter and meet a few people.

Again, welcome to our group. I hope you'll enjoy the current Middle Ages
with us.

Lynn the Inquisitive
LRA at olpdsl.net