[Northkeep] Judy linen

Anne Brewer anaka_ravenna at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 10:23:45 PST 2004

Actually linen is very easy to bleach. I once got five yards of brown linen for free because it had gotten water-damage. I just washed in the washer with bleach and hot water, then hung it up to dry in the sun. Almost all the color came out in the first go. The few places that still had dye or mildew bleached out in the sun-drying (btw, sunlight has a natural bleaching effect, I've read period accounts of people hanging thier white linens in the sun to brighten them). I would recomend doing it in summer when the sunlight's the brightest. You might also try dye-remover, tho' bleach and sunlight will of course be cheapest (just beware that bleaching can sometimes cause shrinkage).
~Anaka

Susan O'Neal <catmafia at direcway.com> wrote:
Toinette wrote:
>It's true: from the research I've read, they say that
>linen generally bleaches well, but doesn't take dye as
>well, which is why you generally saw undergarments in
>period being fine white linen.

While this topic is hot, I have a question-what is the best way to bleach
linen? We bought some for an underdress that is a pale yellow, it looks
like it shouldn't be too difficult to bleach-but would like it to go well
and cheaply if possible.

Susan