[Northkeep] Virus alert?

Herndon, Darin DHerndon at bswintl.com
Tue Jan 27 11:52:37 PST 2004

Yes, there is a new virus on the loose.  Several in the past week, but
one that gained prominence yesterday.  MyDoom or Novarg (same virus) has
been classed a level 4 virus by Symantec (same as Melissa, LoveLetter,
Nimda, etc.).  This virus does fake "from" addresses so it is possible
that you can get a reply about a message you never sent.

Keep your anti-virus software up-to-date.

Oh!  And if you are a Kazaa user, one of this virus' side effects is to
infect your music folder.  Of greater importance to Kazaa users, a
recent research study (published last week) found that 45% of all files
shared on Kazaa are infected with something.  I haven't see the exact
study yet (so I cannot make any judgements about the quality of their
sampling for statistics) but the article appeared sound and seemed to
have the data to back up its claims.

Remember, treat your computer like your home.  Lock the doors, get an
attack yorkie (anti-virus software), and don't give away keys to your
front door to just anyone who wants it (which is effectively what
peer-to-peer file sharing like Kazaa and the old Napster did).  That's
my opinion; live your own life as you choose.

Etienne