[Northkeep] Why I am not going to Gulf War this year

Alton lePeto altonscompany at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 06:02:33 PST 2004

Greetings,

If I was attending GW this year, it would be the 10th consecutive year I had
done so.  There are not many of us in Northkeep that hold that "distinction"
so I think it gives me a right and some credibility in my reasons and
decisions.  I promise to make these succinctly as possible.
Let me make a quick declaration that this is my experience and _opinion_ and
neither is particularly held by all or even any fellow Company members.  So
if you find my views somehow heretical or treasonous to your political
philosophies vis a vis Gross Ansteorra, then please mark me as the target of
your bile and do the honorable thing and leave my friends out of it.

1) Land
In the first few years of GW, there was very little exclusive reserved land.
95% was all "first come, first served".  In '94 we actually camped less than
100yards from the Castle and had a strenuos 40 foot stroll to the field for
battles.  The next 2 years we camped at the intersection of Kings/Queens
road and still had a very short walk to all activities.  After this time
though, we have been basically moved further and further away, in more and
more crappy camping spots, to make room for reserved royalty and thier
croney group camps.  This was done even though, as a camping group, Alton's
Company consistently had upwards of 1 and 2 dozen people in our camping spot
with paid pre-reservations.  Merides' liasons for land (various knights and
other "peers") always made promises to reserve spots for us and every year
they would put us fruther away.  Our own Ansteorran land liasons never
attempted to help us sort this out. Even with our consistant participation
as a fighting unit and the fact that we were from a part of the kingdom with
the furthest drive and a return trip that often included travel in snow.
Never mind that we were at site the night before the event opened waiting
in line as one of the first 10 cars there.  Of course come time for set up
and take down of kingdom and event tents, boarding ramps, mucking out the
old bathrooms, we always managed to provide assistance.

2. Castle Battle
One repeated theme for many troops from northern region for the castle
battles of the last decade - arrow/ballista fodder.  Always placed in front,
nice and ranked and packed together for the concentrated Trimarin archery
and siege  engine fire.  Usually Crown and buddy units  will be found far in
the back at a safe distance.  Iv fought in more than several of these castle
battles where over 80% of everyone from Northern Region was out of the fight
in the first 10 mins.  I guess the battle plan is too good to fail 10 years
in a row.  This is the reason Iv also skipped going to this castle battle on
several occasions.

These are my main two "gripes", I am certain there are many on this list
that will tell me why I'm wrong, so let me point out that different people
have different experiences.  Just because I'm excercising my only true vote
I get in SCA, voting with my wallet and my feet, the opposite of what I want
to accomplish is people not going to GW.  I have had some absolutely
excellent times there and encourage all to go.  Hopefully I will go back for
those reasons in years to come when the hope of fun will outwiegh the truth
of the same problems.

Alton