[Northkeep] Haggis

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Thu Jan 22 05:15:54 PST 2004

Oishii desu ne.....JANAI!

Masamune who is the pickiest eater in North America

From: wynfrith <wynfrith at yahoo.com>
Date: 2004/01/22 Thu AM 07:27:43 EST
To: Barony Northkeep <northkeep at ansteorra.org>
Subject: [Northkeep] Haggis

Haggis, Born in TheUSA
Wed Jan 21, 8:22 AM ET  Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Trevor Datson

LONDON (Reuters) - A tiny Scottish firm has teamed up with a U.S.
company to
start the first industrial-scale production in America of Scotland's
national
dish -- haggis.

Stahly Quality Foods, which employs just four people in the industrial
new
town of Glenrothes, believes the joint venture with a Chicago-based
food
processor can move 300,000 tins of the offal-based delicacy in its
first year.

The estimated 10 million Scots and people of Scottish descent that live
in
North America offer an appetizing market.

But founder Ken Stahly's first venture into the United States was
crushed by
an import ban following the British foot-and-mouth disease outbreak of
2001.

"We were constantly getting e-mails and calls asking 'How can we get
haggis
over here?', Stahly said, as the Scottish diaspora across the globe
prepares to
toast the national bard Robbie Burns with haggis and whisky on January
25.

The U.S. launch is proving expensive for the firm, .

"It's cost us a fortune so far -- the lawyers were charging us $290 an
hour
just to draft things like confidentiality agreements that will
hopefully just
sit in a drawer. But the potential is huge," Stahly said.

Haggis is prepared in a sheep's stomach and is steamed or baked and
served
hot, but can also be revived when cold with a dash of scotch. Stahly
will
initially be offering two varieties from the Chicago plant --
traditional and
vegetarian.

The recipes, like the identity of the U.S. partner, are a closely
guarded
commercial secret, but most traditional haggis contains liver, heart,
tripes,
oatmeal, suet and spices.

It also traditionally contains "lights," or lungs.

But "mad cow disease," or bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE (news -
web
sites)), which can be transferred to humans as variant
Creutzfeldt-Jakob
Disease (news - web sites) (vCJD), put a stop to that in commercial
haggis
production as lungs are deemed "high risk material."

HAGGIS HUNT

All of the ingredients used in the Chicago plant will be sourced
locally to
avoid U.S. import restrictions on British meat products -- the irony
being that
BSE most recently recurred in the United States.

Marketing could, however, prove a challenge. A recent poll of 1,000
U.S.
visitors to Scotland, by haggis makers Hall's of Broxburn, found that
33 percent
believed a haggis was an animal hunted in the highlands.

But Stahly has launched a haggis recipe book which the founder hopes
will
spread the word among American consumers, along with trade shows and
exhibitions,. If the venture proves a success, Stahly hopes to expand
the range, possibly
in conjunction with a Scotch whisky company. The marketing synergies
are
potentially huge.

But so are the bureaucratic pitfalls.

Three years after U.S. customs returned a batch of Stahly's
Scottish-produced
haggis on foot-and-mouth fears, British customs authorities turned back
trial case sent from Chicago.

Wynfrith

If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.