[Northkeep] Fruit for winemaking etc.

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 7 20:20:40 PDT 2004

Greetings,
For the last few years I've been ordering bulk fruit for winemaking
though it could be used for jams, pies, etc.  I discussed this with the
folks who attended the winemaking class and Amanda reminded me to
publish the data.  So, here's the scoop.

Bithell Farms in (get this) Boring Oregon, washes and freezes the fruit
into 14 pound packages.  The quality has been excellent and this works
out to be ab out right for a 5-6 gallon batch.

We place the order no later than July 12th and the fruit is delivered
sometime in early September.  They will let us know the date the truck
will be in town and where to pick up our goods 2-3 weeks prior to it's
arrival.  The truck is only at that location for 20-30 minutes so if you
are not available at that time, make _prior_ arrangements with someone
who can.  Payment is expected at the pickup point so make sure whoever
is there has your money.  Ismet and I are willing to do this if we have
your money (they do take checks) and _if_ we can be assurred you will
pick it up the same day.  We don't have enough freezer space for the
fruit I order for myself, we cannot keep yours frozen as well.  I
usually start 4-6 batches within 36 hours of getting the fruit home.
(Anybody wanna guess when the next class might be?  ^_^)

The prices below are list.  If we order at least 10 boxes we get a $3
per box discount.  The price sounds (and is) kind of high but when you
amortize it across 25-30 bottles it's not so bad.

The discount is taken off the price when you pay the driver of the truck.

For $30/box  (before discount)[That's less than 1.5 dollars a
bottle...not bad.]:

Blackberries				Whole or pureed
Red Raspberries				Whole or pureed
Black Raspberries			Pureed
Boysenberries				Whole or pureed
Blueberries
Strawberries, 				Sliced with sugar
Strawberries, 				Whole without sugar
Strawberries,				Pureed
Loganberries				Whole or pureed
Red Pie Cherries, pitted
Dark Sweet Cherries, pitted
Peaches, sliced
Apricot Halves

For $26/box (before discount):
Apples Peeled & Sliced
Red Rhubarb				Cut to 1/2" pieces.

I need to know who is interested no later than midnight July 9th so I
can put the order into a single message to Bithell.

They have a webpage you can check out more information through:
www.bithellfarms.com

I want to thank Talana for letting me know about this place several
years ago.

Regards,
	Damon