[Northkeep] canning meats

Alton lePeto altonscompany at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 04:22:01 PST 2004

"A method of conserving fowls or pieces of fleshmeat already practised in
Elizabeth I's reign was to parboil them, dip them in hog's lard or clarified
butter 'till they have gotten a new garment over them', and then pack them
in a stoneware pots that were filled up with more spiced lard or butter."
Food and Drink in Britain, C. Anne Wilson

My favorite is the lenten ling pies of fish and eel minced with fruit coverd
in butter and frosted with sugar, yumm.  Hey its Lent, who wants some pie?

Alton
who onced served the crown "faux"  haslet at high table and got a way with
it.  (hee hee)