[Northkeep] badges

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:23:29 PST 2004

>From: <ravenrux at cox.net>
>That's because the rules for heraldry are rather complex; more so, it seems
> >to me, than naming practices of a given culture (I could be wrong in some
> >cultures--I'm hardly an onomastician).

I always thought the rules for heraldry were pretty straightforward - while
naming practices could be pretty vague and complex, making it very easy to
trip up what looks like a fairly straight forward process.  Don't do metal
on metal is easy, and clearly spelled out, but where does it tell you that -
say- Shimazu Ryobe is -possible- as a name for my 15th century
merchant-wanderer, but it's implausible :)

M/D