[Northkeep] canning meats

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 13:40:05 PST 2004

>From: "Stephanie Drake" <sdrake at matrixservice.com>
>Meat is not acidic enough to can without a pressure canner......  I have
> >cooked meat, like stew meat in broth and put it in canning jars and then
> >frozen it, letting it defrost in the cooler during the day and then
>making sure >to bring it to a boil when re-heating............

Historically this has not entirely been the case.

In times past, if memory serves, you would find that frequently meat dishes
were cooked and then either baked into pastries, or covered in a pot with a
pastry topping, or thick layers of lard or tallow.  These could then be
carted along with someone traveling or going to work or whatnot, and did not
need to be re-heated.

M/D