[Northkeep] canning meats

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 14:43:32 PST 2004

>From: "Horn, Trisha D." <tdhorn at saintfrancis.com>
>I've seen where cold/leftover meats are mentioned... Did the spices
>originally cooked with the meat partially preserve it or did people just
>have tougher innards?  Or did a colder climate make a difference?

I think it's just that people were less paranoid and finicky about their
food, but that's my opinion.  Spices don't preserve meat.  Salt only
preserves it by "curing" (i.e. dehydrating and mummifying) it.  The climate
was not significantly cooler, depending on where you are talking about and
what time of year.  If you want to assume they had tougher innards that's
fine, but you know, considering that the meat you buy at the Grocery has
been intentionally aged to make it more tender, the poultry you buy has been
has been washed in bio-hazardous water, and so on, I'm not sure that's even
a valid argument.

Honestly, I don't care how you do it, or what you eat, but if you seal the
meat in pastry or fat before it cools, you've theoretically already killed
everything that WAS there to make you sick, and nothing new s going to get
in there to make it go bad, at least for a little while as long as that
barrier is intact.

Marc/Diarmaid