[Northkeep] Rapier Practice and more

Lil Brat barbour clown_lilbrat at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 2 15:15:10 PST 2004

Well, Marc that helps it sounds pretty much like here so I do not quite understand what she was referring to.  But, she means well.

See you'll next week.

Gelis

Marc Carlson <marccarlson20 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>From: v barbour
>Also, when and where the Populace meeting is, and what other meetings
>you'll have going on this
>month.

Populace meetings are at the Martin East Regional Library at about 26th and
Garnett on the last Monday of the Month (we usually arrive by 7ish). The
meeting is in garb.

The other meetings should be listed on the web page
(http://northkeep.ansteorra.org/) under meeting times and places, and is
generally accurate.

>My Baroness was saying that events are much different there. She indicated
>that you'll do not
>have feasts, most of it is camping and no reservations. Is this correct.
>Please if someone could
>take a moment to explain how an event works there I would greatly
>appreciate it.

We do different events differently. Generally Events do have feasts in
Ansteorra, although not everyone attends them. Some people do the camping
only thing however. Northkeep hosts two major events a year, Castellan and
Winterkingdom. Winterkingdom is the next one coming up and is a collegium
type event. It may or may not have a feast attached to it (more often than
not it has had one, however there have been some years where it hasn't). It
is frequently not a camping event, although at times it has been.

The other event is Castellan, and it's held around the beginning of June,
and is a camping event, and usually has a feast attached.

How an event works... My understanding is that (for a camping event) most
people start showing up at the site on Friday night, stop at the gate
(generally called "troll", God knows why), pay site fee, feast fee,
non-member surcharge if needed, sign a variety of increasingly bizarre
paperwork and waivers, find a campsite, set up camp in the dark, and try to
get some sleep (or party). Opening Court is often on Saturday morning,
along with armor inspections and whatnot (which is usually when those of us
who gave up camping years and years ago try to get there). There may or may
not be a tavern on-site during the day where you can get food. Any
tournaments, competitions or classes will take place during the day,
generally managing to be over in time for feast. Feasts are -usually- held
with servers carting food out to tables, who then see to serving themselves
(servers are usually volunteers around here, although at some events I've
been to in the Kingdom, each table had to supply their own server). Around
here, in this part of the Kingdom, you can safely assume that at a feast you
will be fed on time, be fed a LOT, it will be edible, taste good and not
poison you. That's the minimum expectation, and I can't recall the last
time I was at a feast in this part of the kingdom where the minimum was only
reached - much less when it wasn't reached. Most feasts far surpass the
minimum expectation. Other groups are not always so lucky. Anyway, after
feast, there is usually a court, which can be either short or long
(generally lasting about an hour or two), dull or interesting, generally
with someone in the background inappropriately singing some dippy song about
"the court that never ends". After court there is generally partying,
wandering around from camp site to camp site, being social, and occasionally
drinking. Sunday morning there may be some more scheduled events, and/or
clean up.

Does that help?

Marc/Diarmaid