[Northkeep] dissapearing posts...

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:30:36 PST 2005

>From: Carl Chipman <cchipman at nomadics.com>
>M/D, what would you say *is* a "reliable means of communication"?   I'd
>have hard time >coming up with another communication system that works
>99.9% of the time (which is
>what *I'd* estimate as the successful delivery rate of email to be).

Death.

I'm not slamming email - I'm just saying that having one's email delivered
instantly, or for that matter at all, isn't something to be fussing about :)

>Also, you state:
>"This BTW, is why I complain to Faolan about posting last minute business
>meeting changes to the list, becasue even assuming that people are actually
>reading their email that late in the day, this does still assume that they
>will be getting their email that late in the day."
>Is there a more sensible manner to communicate last minute business?  Of
>course you >could state "Well, there shouldn't be any last minute
>business", but last minute business >happens.  Should she call all 200+
>people in the barony?  send them a letter?  semaphore? >short wave? cb
>radio?  television ad?

JP, in the past changes in meetings have been announced, meetings have been
cancelled, and so on, all at the last minute, and only announced by email.
This is great when all the people who need to know that have functioning
email, that they check, and the message actually arrives at a time when it
makes any difference (as opposed to the next day, or even just after the
needed people have stopped reading their email for the day (which for me
lately seem to be at noon).  If you just rely on email to get that message
across don;t complain if people don't get the message.

Clearly the whole topic is an important one to you and I respect that.  I
would prefer it if you were apt to recognize that there is a difference
between saying honestly that something is flawed, and saying that something
is the worst possible option, or even that there are better options (neither
of which I said, nor even implied).

Now, if you would like to continue this discussion, I will be happy to do
so, but not on this list.

Marc/Diarmaid